1. Why do people need orthodontic treatment? What are the benefits of the treatment?
For many reasons:
- To restore proper dental articulation
- To solve temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ)
- Esthetics: align the teeth, improve the aesthetics of face.
- Improve speech problems
- Specially for adults with periodontal problems, orthodontic treatment helps to reach optimal result of prosthesis on implant
2. What are the signs indicating the need for orthodontics?
- Crooked teeth
- There exits the difference between the upper and lower jaws
- Temporomandibular joint dysfunction
3. What are the differences in orthodontic treatment between adults and infants?
The differences are mainly related to the growth on jaw bone:
- For infants : it allows the correction of jaw bone discrepancies and difference between the upper and lower jaws
- For adults: the jaw bone growth has finished. There exits the discrepancy in jaw joints as for consequences of early extraction without indication. Then, orthodontic treatment helps to restore normal chewing function.
4. How many solutions are there in orthodontic treatment? What are they?
Orthodontic solutions vary based on malpositions, dysmorphoses and ages.
Orthodontic appliances are devided into 2 categories:
- Functional appliances
- Fixed appliances
5. What are the fixed appliances and the gutters? Why are they used frequently in orthodontic treatment?
The attachements refer to multi-fixed rings. Removable plastic gutter is used to correct temporomandibular joint.
Several methods are used. However, each method will be indicated in particular cases.
6. What age should braces be placed?
It depends on the degrees of misalignment
Functional brace treatment starts at an early age.
A comprehensive orthodontic treatment with fixed braces is indicated at later ages.
7. How long is the average time for wearing a brace?
Regarding fixed brace, the average period for intensive treatment is normally two and a half years and then one year for retainer
As for the use of functional appliances, it may take longer based on the growth of jaw.